Returning items can be a hassle, but Home Depot makes it easy. Home Depot’s return policy is customer-friendly and hassle-free. If you need to return an item, you can do so in-store or online; the process is straightforward.
If you have a receipt, you can return items for a full refund within 90 days of purchase. If you don’t have a receipt, you can still return the item, but you will receive store credit for the lowest selling price within the last 90 days. Home Depot also offers a one-year return policy for defective items, and they will replace the item or issue a full refund.
If you have paid using a Home Depot Credit Card, you can return the item in between 365 days.
Home Depot Return Policy rules
When it comes to returning items to Home Depot, there are a few general rules that you should be aware of.
First and foremost, you must have a valid receipt or order confirmation to return any item.
Without a receipt, you may be denied a return or given store credit instead of a refund.
Additionally, items must be returned within 90 days of purchase and in new and unused condition with all original packaging and accessories included.
If you paid with a credit or debit card, the refund will be returned to that card. You will receive a cash refund if you pay with cash or a check. You will receive a store credit if you paid with a gift card.
Exceptions to overall Home Depot return policy
You should be aware of some exceptions to Home Depot’s return policy. For example, custom-made products cannot be returned unless they are defective or damaged.
Additionally, significant appliances must be returned within 48 hours of delivery and in new and unused condition with all original packaging and accessories included.
Some products are not eligible for return at all. These include:
- Hazardous materials
- Assembled products that have been modified or installed
- Unique order products that have been customized to your specifications
It’s important to note that Home Depot reserves the right to refuse any return for any reason.
If you have any questions or concerns about the return policy, it’s best to contact customer service before making a purchase.
Procedure for In-Store Returns
Returning an item to Home Depot is a straightforward process that can be done in-store. Here are the steps to follow:
- Bring the item(s) you wish to return to the Returns Desk at any Home Depot store. Make sure to bring your original receipt or packing slip and the credit card used for the purchase, if applicable.
- Explain the reason for the return to the Returns Desk associate. They will ask for your receipt or packing slip, verify the purchase, and inspect the item(s) to ensure they are in their original condition.
- The associate will process the return if the item(s) are in their original condition. You will receive a refund in the same form of payment used for the purchase, except for cash purchases, which will be refunded in cash.
- If the item(s) are not in their original condition, the associate may offer you a partial refund or deny the return.
- Some items, such as special orders and custom-made products, may not be eligible for return. Check the Home Depot website or contact a store associate for more information.
Procedure for Online Returns
If you need to return an item purchased online from Home Depot, follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your account on homedepot.com.
- Navigate to the “My Orders” section and find the order that contains the item you want to return.
- Click on the “Return Items” button next to the item you want to return.
- Select the reason for the return from the drop-down menu and provide any additional information in the comments section.
- Choose whether you would like a refund or a replacement item.
- Print the return label and packing slip provided by Home Depot.
- Pack the item securely and include the packing slip in the package.
- Attach the return label to the outside of the package.
- Drop off the package at a UPS location or schedule a pickup.
It’s important to note that Home Depot offers free returns for most online purchases.
However, some items may be subject to a restocking fee or may not be eligible for return. Be sure to check the item’s product page or contact customer service for more information.
If you purchase a plant from Home Depot and it dies within one year of purchase, you can return it for a refund or exchange.
You must have the original receipt, and the plant must have been planted in the ground or a planter. If the plant was killed due to neglect, damage, or improper planting, it will not be eligible for return.
Major appliances like refrigerators, stoves, and dishwashers have a 48-hour return policy.
If the appliance is defective or damaged upon delivery, you can refuse delivery or contact Home Depot customer service within 48 hours to schedule a return or exchange.
Once the appliance has been installed, it is no longer eligible for return unless it is defective and covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
If you are unsatisfied with the color of your paint, Home Depot will make it right.
You can return or exchange the paint with the original receipt within 30 days of purchase.
If you have opened the paint, it must be at least 75% full to be eligible for return.
Home Depot can also adjust the color of your paint for free if it did not match the color swatch you selected.
Refunds and Credits
When you return a product to Home Depot, you can expect a refund or credit to your original form of payment.
If you paid with cash, you will receive a cash refund. If you paid with a credit or debit card, the refund will be credited to the same card.
If you paid with a Home Depot gift card, the refund will be credited to the same card.
If you do not have the original form of payment, you can still receive a refund as a merchandise credit. This credit can be used toward future purchases at Home Depot.
It’s important to note that if you used a Home Depot credit card to make your purchase, the refund process may take longer.
The refund will be credited back to your Home Depot credit card account, and it may take up to 7-10 business days for the credit to appear on your account.
If you made a purchase online and want to return it in-store, you can also expect a refund or credit to your original form of payment.
However, if you made a purchase in-store and want to return it online, you will receive a refund as a merchandise credit.
If you need to exchange a product purchased from Home Depot, you can do so within 90 days of purchase. The item must be in its original condition and packaging, and you must have the original receipt or order confirmation email.
When exchanging a product, you have two options: in-store exchange or online exchange.
In-store exchanges are the quickest and easiest option. Simply bring the item and your receipt to any Home Depot store, and they will process the exchange for you.
If you prefer to exchange the item online, you can do so by contacting Home Depot’s customer service team.
They will provide you with a prepaid shipping label, and you can return the item to Home Depot. Once they receive the item, they will process the exchange and send you the new product.
It’s important to note that some items are not eligible for exchange, such as special order products or custom-made items.
Additionally, the exchange policy may differ if the item was purchased with a Home Depot credit card.
Return Policy for Contractors
If you’re a contractor, you can return items to Home Depot within 90 days of purchase. However, there are some differences in the return policy for contractors compared to regular customers.
Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- You must provide a valid form of identification, such as a state-issued driver’s or contractor’s licenses.
- Returns must be accompanied by the original receipt or order confirmation email.
- Special orders, installed products, and custom-made items are not eligible for return.
- Returns of large or heavy items may be subject to a restocking fee.
- If you used a credit account to make your purchase, the refund will be credited back to that account.
Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse returns if they suspect abuse of the return policy.
This includes excessive returns, returns without a receipt, and returns of items that are not in resalable condition.
In summary, Home Depot’s return policy is customer-friendly and flexible. You have 90 days to return most items with a receipt or gift receipt, and you can return items without a receipt for store credit.
Online purchases can be returned to a store or by mail, and damaged or defective items can be returned anytime.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the time limit for returns at Home Depot?
You have 90 days to return most items to Home Depot. However, this policy has some exceptions, such as major appliances and generators, which have a 30-day return window.
Can I return an item to Home Depot without a receipt?
Yes, you can return an item to Home Depot without a receipt. However, you must provide a valid ID, and the return will be processed as store credit.
Are there any items that cannot be returned to Home Depot?
Yes, some items cannot be returned to Home Depot. These include custom-made products, clearance items, and special orders.
How long does it take to receive a refund for a return at Home Depot?
It typically takes 3-5 business days for a refund to be processed after the return has been received by Home Depot.
What is the Home Depot return policy for plants?
Home Depot has a one-year guarantee on all plants, shrubs, and trees. You can return your plant for a full refund or exchange if it dies within the first year.
Is it possible to return an air conditioner to Home Depot without the original box?
You cannot return an air conditioner to Home Depot without the original box. The product must be returned in original packaging, including all accessories and manuals.
Lowe’s return policy
Does Lowe’s price match Amazon’s?
Can I return items to Lowe’s without receipt?
Lowe’s return policy for Large Appliances